Essays In Material Culture by: Kenneth Haltman and Jules David Prown
- Prownian Analysis – a means of identifying, analyzing and categorizing objects in Historical Archaeology.
- Etymological– relating to the origin and historical development of words and their meanings.
- Metaphysical- relating to metaphysics; the essentially metaphysical question of the nature of the mind.
- Phenomenologically- relating to the science of phenomena as distinct from that of the nature of being.
- Polarities- the property or characteristic that produces unequal physical effects at different points in a body or system, as a magnet or storage battery.
- Intertextual- interrelationships relationship between texts especially works of literature.
Identifying an object
Understanding why an object holds historical significance. Once you identifying an object or text you need to understand the significant value it holds to you individually.
In order to have a better understanding of the significance of an object we need to find the polarity in the object such a hot/cold soft/hard life/death. When expressing your interpretation of an essay, you need to make sure you organize your thoughts methodically.
Material Cultural intellectual and sensory responses
As I read and analyze an essay and or image I need to keep in mind the object of a material cultural and the importance of choosing my personal view and linguistic wisely. How I interpret a visual object has to do with my personal experience because the way I interpret an image or text will not be the same another person will. By having a diverse cultural life experience you will have knowledge and a better way of articulating your interpretation of an object. By having life experiences and evaluating image or text remaining neutral, your audience wouldn’t feel that the author has cultural biased or critical assumption that was translated.
Evaluating Emotional Response.
When assessing an object I need understand the mental reasoning behind why an object or subject makes me feel a certain way and why. By understanding myself, it aids me with the ability to relate to the authors conveyance and my personal understanding of my emotional connection.
With that knowledge, I would understand why I have a emotional connection with an object and or subject.
Evaluating Research, Speculations and Creativity
By understanding an object culturally, intellectually, emotionally you then create your own understanding of an object. By comprehending the different metaphors and the relationship behind all the analyses and research you perceive then in return creates my own personal speculations. Narrowing your research in a simplistic direction helps you convey your message